Many people I know get excited this time of year. They file their tax returns early, anxiously awaiting their refunds. Visions of sugarplums and electronic gadgets dance in their heads.
The folks at eSmart Tax, the online tax preparation service powered by Liberty Tax Service, have a nifty marketing campaign underway. eSmart Tax is offering two ways American taxpayers can file their federal return online for free this year:
- the always-free basic edition
- the free deluxe edition for people with the last name Johnson
That’s right. People with the last name of Johnson are getting some respect this tax season. Johnsons file free. More than 2.1 million with this moniker in America, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Who knew that being named Johnson carried benefits??
That doesn’t mean that the rest of us are out in the cold. The basic edition allows us to file for free.
The basic e-file edition includes:
- Federal tax preparation and e-file – All the forms you need are available with just a few mouse clicks.
- Free technical support.
- The best in IRS e-file technology – It’s the most secure way to get your refund. It’s also the faster, when compared to traditional paper filing.
If you’re a Johnson using the deluxe edition, you can take advantage of everything above, plus bonus features, including:
- CPA Audit Assistance – A Liberty Tax certified public accountant (and audit specialist) will be assigned to support you if the IRS audits you.
- Compare “What If” scenarios – Run different tax scenarios so you can determine which return is most favorable.
Ease and accuracy. That’s what eSmart Tax offers, even if your last name isn’t Johnson.