Friday, December 12, 2008

'Change the Channel'

A story about making a difference

Egyptian bloggers recently decided to revolt against what they consider to be their country's "current rueful state." Nermeen Edrees, who writes for Global Voices, describes being haunted by "grim headlines" - stories about murders, corruption, sexual harassment, and other unsavory acts.

A group of Egyptian online writers, led by Tarek Amr, decided to turn the negatives into a positive by embarking on the "Change the Channel" campaign.

This is a great story about bloggers networking and affecting positive social change. Click here to read Nermeen's post. (The graphic, by the way, says "change the channel.")


Tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!
Thanks my friend :)

S A J Shirazi said...

I am 'changing the channel.'

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Tarek: My pleasure. When I discovered your site a couple of years ago, it was clear that you were emerging as one of the most talented bloggers in Egypt. You are a very humble person, but your influence on other online writers is huge.

Shi: Me too!

Ian Lidster said...

You are so good in what you offer us dear Deb. Wonderful concept and a bit of advice worth heeding. Especially these days when I look at the newspapers and see negative story after negative story. In my ongoing quest to 'let it go' I find so much of what I see around me to be distressing. I glance at the head and decide to not read the story -- change the channel, as it were -- and it works to a degree. So thank you again for this offering. I needed it.

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Ian: What a lovely thing to say. Thank you.