Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mississippi tent cities house Katrina families

Canvas cities rise amid hurricane rubble

Tent cities have risen on Mississippi's Gulf Coast to house some of the estimated 5,000 families still homeless from Hurricane Katrina.

About 300 families at Pass Christian, Long Beach and D'Iberville, Miss., are living in tent cities erected by the U.S. Navy Seabees at a cost of $1 million. There is room for about 400 more families in the heated tents as temperatures dropped into the 30s.

"We are doing what we can to help people keep close to home that want to stay close to home," a Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman told the New York Times.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Len, I, too, pray for disaster victims worldwide. Heaven knows when the Katrina families will get some sense of normalcy back into their lives.

My daughter came home from school to tell me that a young man in her culinary arts class started to cry on Wednesday. Her classmate came here from New Orleans. She said she had never seen him cry.

I told my daughter that I think the teens in her class have become a second family to "Joe," and I think he's really going to miss them over the winter break. Also, Joe's life is up on the air because he keeps getting conflicting reports about when he's going to return to New Orleans.

I agree with you about Ms. Magee. Thank God for people like her!

By the way, I also continue to pray for the earthquake victims worldwide. As for the Congo, the recent quake further damaged an infrastructure that was already very, very fragile.

In the case of Pakistan, it's very cold there. It's my understanding that many families continue living in tents there, also. American soldiers remain there, helping with the rebuilding process. A few weeks ago, I carried a story about a unit of U.S. Navy Seabees working in Pakistan. These Seabees, who are based in the Gulf Coast, lost nearly all of their personal possesions to Katrina. But that didn't stop them from going to help others in need in South Asia. Human resiliency and compassion amaze me.