Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The growing market for slightly used books

New trend creates a nation of amateur booksellers

The Internet is creating a new and fast-growing category in the book-selling market -- the barely-used book. An increasing number of consumers are snapping up used volumes online at invitingly cheap prices. These aren't yellowing copies of out-of-print titles but often unblemished copies of newly published books -- sometimes available just a few days after a book's official publication date. Details from The Wall Street Journal Online.

Tags: , , , ,

4 comments:

S A J Shirazi said...

You are lucky on two accounts: Good books are published and people in your part of the world still read. Buying and selling used books is even better from affordability point of view. We have this old books’ business here in the third world. Old books are sold and purchased in old book shops and bazaars (good for many like me), not online. This is a good trend, notwithstanding what big publishers and book sellers say.

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I, too, think this is a good trend, Shirazi.

chase said...

it's great for an avid reader like me, I can get 30-40 dollar books on ebay for a couple of dollars, and sending mefia mail for a couple more. I love it. Even dollar stores sell books for 1.00 and they aren;t always bad book.

We're in the same biz, I do pr as well...urban pr is my specialty, catering to that diverse market.

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Chase, I agree with you about the dollar stores. I have found books by some of my favorite authors there. In fact, I have learned to only take a certain amount of cash to dollar stores. It's amazing how you can spend a small fortune if you're not paying attention!

I haven't tried eBay yet. My son is the expert in the family when it comes to eBay transactions. I plan to pick his brains about best practices when it comes to eBay.

So you're a PR professional, too. Cool! Urban PR is my specialty, too, although I have worked in virtually any any aspect of the biz. Small world. I hope to get to know you better. Thank you for stopping by. Please visit again.