Employers regularly Google prospective employees to learn more about them. Blogging gives you a way to control what employers see, because Google's system works in such a way that blogs that are heavily networked with others come up high in Google searches.
Online writing can help your career in several ways:
- Blogging increases your network. People take notice and want to know more about you.
- Blogging can get you a job. It gives you more visibility and allows you to put your best foot forward.
- Blogging can help you to move up quickly if you establish yourself as an expert on a specific topic. Posting regularly is important.
- Blogging makes self-employment easier. To make it on your own, you have to be good at selling yourself.
- Blogging could lead to your big break. This is especially true for visually creative types. I've come across some great cartoon, photography, and graphic art blogs. I also know some artistic types who write eloquently and punch up their posts with colorful design.
- Blogging can lead to new conversations with people you might not otherwise meet. Through the blogosphere, I have connected with intriguing people on several continents, including North America, Central America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Each encounter leads to personal and/or professional growth. On our sites or offline, my blogging buddies and I quickly find common ground.
Good blogging requires commitment and hard work. The payoff, however, can be huge!
Tags: Blogging, Careers, Public Relations, PR, Business, Media by Sistrunk